CarFit Event Technician & Coordinator Training
Presenter: Elin Schold Davis
Saturday May 30, 6:00pm-9:00pm- Train the trainer
Sunday May 31, 8:30-4:30 – (8:30-noon in class)
This workshop is designed to train participants to take on the important role of CarFit Event Technician and Coordinator. CarFit is a community-based education program that offers mature drivers the opportunity to discover how well their cars “fit” them so they can become both safer and more comfortable behind the wheel. The CarFit technician reviews the 12-point CarFit checklist with participants and promotes CarFit priorities and goals. As the official host of a CarFit Event in its community, the CarFit Event Coordinator has the opportunity to make mature drivers – and the community – safer. The CarFit Event Coordinator organize the community events, recruit and train volunteers and are responsible to coordinate such activities as the finding of sponsors and the promotion of the event in collaboration with partner associations.
Occupational therapists and Driver rehabilitation specialists have a unique role in the programme as they bring an understanding of aging and medical conditions to the conversation. They have the opportunity to discuss with drivers about specific concerns related to driving safety with compassion and sensitivity. For more information about the CarFit programme: please visit www.caot.ca/CarFitCanada
- Review the 12-point CarFit checklist with participants
- Assist the CarFit Event Coordinator in conducting CarFit Event
- Promote CarFit priorities and goals
Event Coordinator can:
- Host CarFit events following proper programmatic procedures
- Train CarFit technicians to assist at your events
- Secure dates and locations for CarFit events
- Participate in and manage CarFit events
- Communicate with the national organizations CAA and CAOT
Goals and Learning Objectives:
- Participants will know how to promote the event and disseminate the information to key seniors’ organizations and partners of the CarFit program in Canada.
- Participants will be able to organize a CarFit Event in their community.
- Participants will be able to identify the resources to support their CarFit Event.
- Participants will be able to recruit, train and supervise the CarFit technicians and other CarFit volunteers.
- Participants will know how to identify and secure a location to train the volunteers and a site to hold the event.
Sign up today at: http://www.caot.ca/default.asp?pageid=1039
About the Presenter:
Elin Schold Davis, OTR/L, CDRS, is the Older Driver Initiative Project Coordinator for the American Occupational Therapy Association based in Bethesda, MD.
Ms Schold Davis earned her BS in Occupational Therapy from the University of Minnesota and became a certified driver rehabilitation specialist through the Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists (ADED). Since 2003, the projects of the AOTA Older Driver Initiative have been building awareness of occupational therapy’s role in senior safe mobility while increasing the capacity of occupational therapy programs to address driving as an instrumental activity of daily living.